Monday, May 3, 2010

The Murderer's Daughters - Randy Susan Meyers


Yipes! I promised a review of this book awhile back then got caught up in life. Well that was a disservice to my readers because I loved this book almost as much as I loved the author.

The Murderer's Daughters revolves around two young sisters who witness, to one degree or another, their mother's death at the hands of their father. The sisters are shuttled from the house they lived in, which neither they nor I call a home, to their aunt's house, which proved to be even less of a home than their first.

The aunt quickly finds she doesn't want the children and sends them to live in an orphanage. One of the sisters makes out alright, while the other is teased and bullied, leading to issues we'll see later in her life. I found this section of the story riveting and intense. Having two young children of my own made it even harder to read but the author added enough supporting characters that you didn't feel you were drowning in the sister's sorrowful tale.

As the girls mature, one turns to academia and the other to men and drink. I have to admit I am a sucker for a good alcoholic story and we this one does not disappoint. Merry's story unique and true to life, which is what gives it power.

The central factor in the story is how the two women deal with the father that floats about the periphery of their lives from his prison cell. Lulu, the doctor, refuses to see him, while Merry dutifully visits him but pays a price for each trip.

The ending of the novel was action-packed and terrifying. The story resolves nicely, though not too nicely. Really a very good read. I'd suggest you pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment