Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Two new reviews!

It appears I am better at reading than writing lately. Hopefully everyone has been able to find a few good books without me! If not, here are two new reviews for you to consider.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

Does it say something that I seem to be reading a lot of novels about older peoplelately? That was rhetorical, meaning don't answer. I really enjoyed this novel, it was different in an Olive Kitteridge king of way. The story told the tale of an old-fashioned Major whose wife has died and he finds love again in a Pakistani widower. His friends and son look down upon this relationship and the Major capitulates only to realize it's his life to live. He finds himself forced to make a decision whether to save a future he wants or live in a past of comfort but solitude. The novel is filled with rich characters and settings, from the snotty yet insecure son to the brash Pakistani nephew of the Major's amore. Major Pettigrew is a very comfy read by the fire with a cup of tea and shawl.

The Girl who played with Fire - Stieg Larsson

This author clearly doesn't need any help from me - his books are everywhere including the best seller list for I don't know how long but it's been at least all summer. Fans of his are clearly bereft that there won't be anymore Lisbeth Salander in the future because Larsson unfortunatley died but a movie based on his books is in the works.
As for me, I sort of did everything wrong with this book, which could be why it didn't grip me. I bought #2 first, not realizing it was a series. I thought it was more like Lawrence Sanders or Janet Evanovich where you can pick up anywhere and it's another story with the same characters. No so. If you want the full experience buy The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo first. Though I realized my mistake I solidered on. As I read I had a hard time (as did many of the readers I spoke with) with pronouncing the Swedish names and places . I was also very distracted because the majority of my reading was done on the beach with the kids who tend to wait until someone is about to be murdered (or the murdered is to be revealed) before they feign drowning.
The story was definitely thrilling; two writers and a bad guy are killed and we don't know if Lisbeth, who is a troubled character, did it or not. My issue was it was looonnnnngggg, I'd say too long for the plot, but again I was distracted and not super into it. A lot of people love these books - I've seen it on the train, in Maine, on-line, all over the place - and I think I'm the only one who wasn't head over heels so try it for yourself and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment