Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Great quote in a new book

The book is The Wrong Mother by Sophie Hannah. I just started it so I'm not ready to review but so far very good. Very tired Mommy-ish but some of us can relate to that.
Setting: Her husband is watching the news surrounded by the remnants of a dinner that hit the floor when the children had a tantrum.

"Sweet. Aren't you going to....?" I point at the mess.
"In a sec," he says. "I'm just watching this."
"You could do both at the same time," I say. "Watch the news and clear up the mess." Pointless; it's the sort of comment some one like Nick doesn't understand.
He looks at me as if I'm crazy.
"I'm just saying, it'd be more efficient."
When he sees I'm serious, he laughs. "Why don't I just go straight to the last day of my life?" he says. "That'd be really efficient."

Don't you love that? I'm always telling the kids and John to try to do things more logically, more efficiently. It doesn't work and what's the rush really?

On another note, I need to start writing down where I get my book recommendations from because I just finished a book by Gillian Roberts and it was awful. I finished it because I thought I might be overly critical now that I'm up on my grammer rules (though I don't always employ them on my blog). The book Whatever Doesn't Kill You  is a boring tale of two female detectives who almost (but don't) have love lives and almost (but don't) understand each other. The characters are underdeveloped and the plot is weak. There are two intertwining stories neither of which you care about plus the author is a recluse with commas.

Hopefully next week I'll have a positivei review of The Wrong Mother. It's looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment