Saturday, November 14, 2009

Making a literary life

I just finished reading Making A Literary Life by Carolyn See (pub. 2002, Random House) based on a tiny mention in a Maine Literary newspaper I picked up at the seven minute speed dating style pitch session. This book reminded me of the reason I started writing in the first place - pleasure, not fame or money.
As I strove to finish it (among throwing up children and, eventually, a vomiting husband) I decided to take whatever response came from the hold out second agent in stride. I would not burst into tears as I did when the first - the one I truly believed I belonged with  - said no. I would see the message, open it and deal with it. Again.
So there I was wtih three hours sleep at the library with Alexis reading through the Webster's unabridged dictionary (she loves that thing though it weighs about 15 pounds). I checked the crackberry and there it was. I debated not opening it knowing that as much as I told myself I didn't care I really did. I clicked. She wanted the rest of the manuscript!
I swear to God I made that weird noise I have only made one other time in my life - the time a live elk almost jumped on my head! Lexi was freaked until she saw the smile swallow my whole face.
"What Mom did someone buy the book?" she asked. (This is how annoying I've been about working on the book lately).
No, honey they haven't bought the book but we're one step closer - one tiny step for Mom one giant leap for Mom-kind.

Making a Literary Life - Carolyn See
I can not tell you how great this book is if you are a writer. The subtitle is 'Advice for writers and other dreamers' but I think you must write to enjoy this book. Some of her wisdom will truly help me in the future - including the chapter on "Magazines, Grants, and Fun with the Tax Man". Who knew you could write off dinner parties because it may be fodder for your future writing, or travel - don't believe me? - apparently Arthur Miller went to court over this.
Her style is easy, her advice wise but not over-bearing. I've been trying to follow her 1,000 word a day advice but it's tough, it really is but she lets us off saying we don't need to catch up if we miss a day - thank you Carolyn! I've written a charming note to an agent from whom I got a rejection and, indeed, I do feel better, if not virtuous. But I've never been acussed of virtuousness so I'll live.

No comments:

Post a Comment