Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Innocent – by Harlan Coben

Early this winter a friend of mine, Sharon, was waiting desperately to buy the newest Harlan Coben. I asked who he was and she looked at me like I had two heads. I figured I better get on the ball and check out his work.

I found The Innocent in paperback, which generally means it did very well in it’s first run. Always a good sign. The story is a murder mystery but the plot is much more intricate than many I’ve read.

Without giving too much away there are two stories that intertwine beautifully in the end (I had no clue as to the ending which is a nice – and rare - surprise). The main character, Matt Hunter, is just released from prison for his role in a deadly fight. The fight occurs at Umass Amherst (my alma mater) during a fraternity party. The man Matt struggled with is killed and Matt is sent to prison for ten years. When he gets out he reconnects with an old girlfriend, Olivia, and they marry.

The two seem to be on the path to a normal life when Matt suddenly receives a video of his wife with another man. This leads to the second story, which unfolds as Matt tries to dig for the truth. Is his wife cheating? Who is the man she is seen with in the video? Matt desperately wants to believe his wife and, eventually, they work together to unravel the mystery of a dead nun and a bribery ring that leads back to Olivia’s past. Their relationship and his love for her is something that sounds impossible but has the reader believing in trust and marriage again.

The Innocent would be a great summer read or an airplane book. I am guessing the rest of Harlan Coben’s work is similar. Entertaining, fun murder mysteries. I am looking forward to picking up a few more.

N.B. I've finished The Murderer's Daughter - will be posting a review in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment