Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Author reading of The 19th Wife - David Ebershoff

When you go, as a writer, to hear another writer read their work it's many things, one of which is intimidating.
Not the author themselves, they're almost always wonderful, intelligent, and inspirational. It's the writing that's intimidating, the work itself. When I hear an author read, and I like their work, I compare it to my own and it often comes up lacking but enough of my tales of insecurity. On to David's tale of polygamy.
David Ebershoff made the trip from Martha's Vineyard to Duxbury this past Sunday for a reading from his historical saga The 19th Wife. He was a tad late, being that it was a monsoon, so it gave me and my outing partner a chance to buy the book ahead of time. When he arrived, apologetic and wonderful, Anne and I looked at each other wondering if he could have possibly driven there being that he looked all of 18! After the reading I asked for a picture to prove my point (by the way I've since thrown away the sweater - it may be soft but it also makes me look like a purple wooly mammoth).
His youthful appearance did not stop him from writing an eloquent novel and reading powerfully from it.
The 19th Wife is about Ann Eliza Young, the 19th wife of Brigham Young and deserter of the First Church of Later Day Saints. The story is told from many points of view including Jordan Scott a young man left by the side of the road because he is a boy and was caught holding hands with one of his sisters. It's not the sister thing that was a problem, it was that she may reciprocate his affections and the group's elders liked to hold on to their young girls.  Did I mention the one that left him by the side of the road was his mother? That can mess with your head.
Other voices I've read are thsoe of Ann Eliza, her father, and her mother. David spoke about the different points of view and his research in Utah. It was fascinating and amazing to learn this way of life continues to go on to this day in many parts of the mid-Western United States.
I'm only part way through the book (having had it in my possession for only 2 days) but I can already say I recommend it whole heartedly. It's interesting, educational, horrifying, and soul-searching.
I wish I could be home reading right now but kids, work, life calls. I'll be reading it tonight though, probably until midnight. It's that good.
http://www.19thwife.com/
Buy it!

N.B. - North Arts Arts Society Writers Workshop meeting TONIGHT, 7pm GAR hall. All aspiring writer's welcome! For more info: http://nraswritersworkshop.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. The story surrounding the beginnings of poligamy have become clouded and distorted through the years by the Mormon Church. This story though fictional is based upon the life of one of Brigham Youngs wives and her break from this bondage that the Mormon Church imposed upon her and many other women. The book also tells the story of a current wife of one of the "Firsts" the off shoot group that continue to practice poligamy. This is a tale of the current oppresive life these women and their children suffer under. The young males are often kicked out of the group to fend for themselves. Young girls are married off to much older men who have multiple wives. This group is accurately depicted as a cult which does not have connections with the current Mormon Church. The Mormon Church does not condone poligamy today but the church history is steeped in poligamy during the mid to late 1800's. The 19th wife Ann Eliza played a significant role in ending the practice.

    ReplyDelete